Mathew Stulic is a leading Australian construction, major projects and infrastructure lawyer. Mathew has particular expertise in dispute resolution and dispute avoidance in the construction industry including litigation, arbitration (domestic and international), expert determination, adjudication, mediation and DRB’s. He acts for contractors, principals, owners and State and Local government.
Mathew has an acute understanding of the complex commercial, legal and technical issues that successful project outcomes are dependent upon having been seconded to two major Australian contractors in both legal and commercial roles and fulfilling the role of (Acting) Legal Counsel for over two years at the Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation (now part of the Transport Projects Division of Transport for NSW).
He has significant experience in public infrastructure projects, in particular in the transport sector. He is a leading advisor on dispute resolution and avoidance in the delivery of major rail infrastructure. Mathew also has experience in the civil engineering sector as well as cogeneration and geothermal power plants, LNG plants (offshore and onshore facilities), roads and bridges, airports, sewerage plants, and sports facilities.
Mathew is a past winner of the UK Society of Construction Law’s Hudson Prize, a prestigious international construction law prize, for his internationally recognised paper in relation to the prevention principle and project delays.
- Construction law
- Project advice from concept to completion
- Dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration, expert determination and mediation
- Acting for numerous owners, head contractors and subcontractors in relation to matters arising out of security of payment legislation.
- Advising NSW State Government on the procurement and delivery of a major pedestrian link project which will link Sydney CBD to a new harbour-side development
- Acting for and advising a major contractor in proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW in a significant dispute in the Technology and Construction List relating to a major retail development.
- Acting for and advising NSW State Government in relation to the Epping to Chatswood Rail line and associated projects.
- Advising NSW State Government in relation to a major Transport Interchange which was delivered by a public-private partnership.
- Acting for the owner of a cogeneration facility in an arbitration against the EPC contractor in respect of defects in a cogeneration plant.
- The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers – ranked in the category of Construction/Infrastructure Law from 2013 – 2018.
- Doyle’s Guide 2016 – recommended as a leading Construction and Infrastructure Lawyer.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 – recommended for Construction.