Paul is a construction and infrastructure lawyer and leads the Construction & Development team in our Melbourne office. He advises on the preparation and negotiation of project documents and on the resolution of complex disputes in relation to design, construction and commissioning of building and infrastructure projects.
Paul acts for government, private developers, major infrastructure contractors, specialist subcontractors and consultants. He is also a lecturer in construction law in Monash University’s Postgraduate Law School.
Construction, engineering and infrastructure projects
Transactional & advisory
Paul advises on and prepares project documents for power, rail, road, water, telecommunications, social infrastructure, municipal, commercial and residential building projects.
He advises on the administration of projects documents during construction, including devising strategies to avoid or minimise disputes. Paul also assists clients on projects where there has been contractor or subcontractor insolvency.
Paul advises on construction and infrastructure disputes in Australia, the UK and South East Asia, including with respect to claims relating to time, variations, defective design and construction, liquidated damages, contamination, latent conditions, materials & supply, payment and contract interpretation. He advises on complex disputes relating to power, civil (roads, rail, ports, bridges, pipelines, telecommunications), building and social infrastructure.
Paul advises on claims under contractors works insurance and professional indemnity insurance policies with respect to infrastructure projects.
He is familiar with alternative dispute resolution methods, and regularly acts for clients in mediations, expert determinations and other informal dispute processes relating to infrastructure projects.
Paul is familiar with the Security of Payment legislation in Victoria and other states, including the conduct of adjudications and enforcement.
- Paul is ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Construction/Infrastructure Law in 2018.
- Paul is recommended for Construction in Chambers Guide Asia Pacific 2017.
- Paul is recommended as a leading construction lawyer in Doyle’s Guide 2016 Victoria.
- Paul has been listed in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific index of construction lawyers in 2011 – 2018 with clients saying Paul is an’intelligent and astute operator’.
- Paul was recognised for his work in the area of Construction in the 2012 edition of legal directory PLC Which Lawyer?