Assisting councils on major water projects
We advised on one of the largest water-recycling schemes undertaken by an Australian local government water authority
The Shoalhaven Reclaimed Water Management Scheme (REMS) is one of the largest and more complex water-recycling schemes to be undertaken by an Australian local government water authority.
It is being developed in two stages and will utilise up to 80 percent of the reclaimed water from six northern Shoalhaven wastewater treatment plants to irrigate local dairy farms, golf courses and sporting fields.
Maddocks advised Shoalhaven City Council on all aspects of its procurement process for the REMS – 1B project.
The main issues associated with the project are:
- multiple items of interfacing infrastructure – some of which are to be procured separately
- need for staged handover of assets in order to maintain operation of existing assets during construction and handover new assets in an orderly fashion
- technical and engineering complexity, in particular regarding the river crossing.
- Co-ordination of a number of different stakeholders, including NSW Office of Water, Department of Health, Office of Environment and Heritage and Environmental Protection Authority, and local land owners.
- issues regarding use of early tenderer involvement process, particularly complying with the tendering requirements of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW)
- possible need for multiple approaches to risk allocation for various elements of the project, within a single contractual framework.
Our team prepared protocols for early tender involvement workshops and prepared Response for Tender and contractual documentation for engagement of contract administration consultants. The team also advised Council on arrangements with design consultants and provided ongoing advice on project procurement generally.
Advising on complex water infrastructure projects for local government
Maddocks advised Parkes Shire Council on the Parkes Integrated Water Infrastructure Renewal Program
Advising on regional NSW prison projects
Maddocks has worked on the tendering and procurement of various prison projects throughout regional NSW
Acting on major NSW rail projects
Maddocks was appointed to act on Blue Mountains Route Clearance part of Transport for NSW’s New Intercity Fleet Project
Providing innovative procurement solutions for local government projects
Maddocks provided an innovative procurement solution for the City of Casey's landmark Bunjil Place project