Andrew has extensive corporate, commercial, securities and mergers and acquisitions expertise and experience. He acts for private equity houses, Australian-listed public companies, investment banks and overseas companies which hold Australian investments. He also has an established sports and entertainment law practice.
Andrew has previously worked in an international law firm, major national law firms in Australia and New Zealand and as General Counsel at a dual ASX and NZX-listed financial services. He holds Master of Law degrees from Duke University and University of New South Wales, specialising in corporate and securities law. Andrew is admitted to the High Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia, and the High Court of New Zealand. He has been recognised for Corporate and M&A in Legal 500 Asia Pacific and for Corporate and Capital Markets in Doyle’s Guide.
- Advising on Navis Capital Partners’ sale of Blueprint Group to Strikeforce AMC.
- Advising on Navis Capital Partners’ acquisition of the Wordmark Group from RMB Capital.
- Advised Navis Capital Partners' investment company, Modern Star, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions.
- Advised Navis Capital Partners' investment company, Device Technologies, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions.
- Advised Navis Capital Partners’ investment company, Guardian Early Learning Centre, on numerous bolt-on child care centre acquisitions and management agreements.
- Advised Navis Capital Partners on the acquisition of PeopleBank Australia.
- Advised CHAMP Private Equity’s investment company, Jaybro Group, on business and share acquisitions.
- Advised Quadrant Private Equity’s vehicle, Fitzpatricks Private Wealth, on multiple business and share acquisitions.
- Advised Adamantem Capital on its Australasian acquisition of the Hellers, Moira Mac’s and Canon Foods businesses.
- Advised on Five V Capital's acquisition of business process outsourcing company Beepo.
- Advised the UK based private equity house, ECI Partners, on its investment in Media IQ Digital and the acquisition of Reapit.
- Advised on Helmsman Capital's acquisition of the Dial-A-Doctor group, and follow on bolt-on acquisitions.
- Advised Green Capital Partners on the acquisition of XBlades, and its investment in Stomping Ground and Spectacular Brewery.
- Advised US-based fund Eli Global on its entry into Australia through the acquisition of Medical Business Solutions and Pulse IT.
- Advised the founders on the sale of Big River Group to Anacacia Capital.
Mergers & acquisitions
- Advised Diversified Minerals on the sale of the Dargues Gold Mine to Aurelia Metals for up to $205 million, and on sale of the Henty Gold Mine to Catalyst Metals for up to $20 million.
- Advised the founders and operators of the Manly Fast Ferry on their divestment of the company to NRMA, and related acquisitions.
- Advised CMC Markets on the acquisition of E*Trade from ANZ Bank.
- Advised NASDAQ-listed Swedish company Duni on the acquisition of BioPak, and follow on bolt on acquisitions.
- Advised Shangri-La Asiaon its acquisition of the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney, from the Government Investment Corporation of Singapore for $352 million.
- Advised WPG Resources on the sale of its non-iron ore assets to OneSteel for $364 million, and on the acquisition of the Challenger Gold Mine from Kingsgate Consolidated.
- Advised NetComm Wireless on its scheme of arrangement with Casa Systems which saw Casa Systems fully acquire the equity interests in NetComm Wireless.
- Advised Signature Gold on its scheme of arrangement with StratMin Global Resources which saw StratMin Global Resources fully acquire the equity interests in Signature Gold.
- Advised Charterhouse Partnership on the public company takeover of ASX listed Hamilton James & Bruce Group (ASX: HJB).
- Advised Pan Pacific Petroleum on its takeover defence in respect of the on-market takeover offer from Zeta Resources.
- Advised Funchal Limitada on the placement of South American Ferro Metals (formerly an ASX listed company) into administration and the purchase of its assets, including the preparation of transaction documentation, payment of debt and procurement of the release of security interests (the transaction was conducted in part with Deutsche Bank as one of the counterparties).
- Advised Australian Petroleum Investments Group on the three-stage successful $700 million bid for the shares of Delhi Petroleum, a Cooper Basin oil and gas joint venturer.
- Advised Kaplan Australia on the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, Franklyn Scholar, to Acquire Learning & Careers.
- Advised Hannan Group on the acquisition of the remaining 50 percent of the printing, publishing and distribution businesses of Independent Print Media Group held by the Fairfax Group.
- Advised Velocity Brand Management on the acquisition by Super Retail Group (ASX: SRG) of 50 percent of Velocity Brand Management’s sports online and venue retail business, VBM Retail.
- Advised global Indian software provider, Eka Software Solutions, on the acquisition of all of the shares in The Matrix Group of Companies.
- Advised Malaysian stock exchange listed company Kimgres Sdn. Bhd. on the acquisition of Amber Tiles from Greenstone Partners Capital.
Equity capital markets
- Advising Atrum Coal on numerous matters, including: complex directors issues with respect to disclosure to ASX of margin loans and related appearances at ex-parte interlocutory injunction proceedings, multiple capital raisings by way of placements, rights issues, section 713 prospectus issues, convertible notes, options and equity placement facilities.
- Advised NetComm Wireless on its fully underwritten A$50 million share placement and A$10 million share purchase plan.
- Advised WPG Resources on a A$75 million institutional placement and a 1 for 10 non-renounceable pro-rata rights issue to eligible shareholders raising A$9.5 million.
- Advised Medical Imaging Australasia on its successful $75 million IPO and ASX listing.
- Advised Signature Gold on its IPO and ASX listing.
- Advised PowerTel on its $110 million rights issues and public capital raising.
- Advised Veritas Securities on the fully underwritten accelerated non-renounceable entitlement issue (“ANREO”) by Skydive the Beach Group to raise $19.5 million.
Sports and entertainment
- Advised Waratahs Rugby on the Venue Hire Agreement with the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust, and advising on all governance and board issues, player and coach contracts and major and minor sponsorship agreements.
- Advising NSW Rugby League on governance and board issues and major and minor sponsorship agreements, and advised on the acquisition of Blatchey’s Blues and related advice.
- Advised Australian Turf Club on its unincorporated joint venture with the Keystone Group with respect to Level 4 of the new grandstand at Randwick Racecourse, Sydney.
- Advised the Greater Western Sydney Giants AFL Club on the establishment of its charitable foundation.
- Advised the Big Day Out on the strategic investment in the Big Day Out by US private equity backed C3 Group and on the sale of the Big Day Out to C3.
- Advised Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club on the club's privatisation.
- Advising New Zealand Rugby Football Union on various rugby player contract issues, sponsorship issues and intellectual property protection issues, and advised on damages claims by spinally injured rugby players.
Advising on major deals in the technology sector
Maddocks advised on a vital segment of the NBN project
Maddocks advises on telecommunications equipment merger
Maddocks has advised NetComm Wireless Limited on its merger with Casa Systems Inc.
Maddocks advises Diversified Minerals on financing of gold mine
Maddocks has advised Diversified Minerals Pty Ltd on the funding of the development of the Dargues Gold Mine.
Maddocks advises ASX-listed Mainstream Group Holdings Limited on its $415 million sale to Apex
We have advised Mainstream Group Holdings Limited on its sale to global financial services provider, Apex Group Ltd
Doing Business in Australia
Maddocks works with global clients wanting to invest into Australia, as well as Australian clients investing overseas