Andrew is a Partner in the Maddocks Commercial Group. He has extensive corporate, commercial, securities and mergers and acquisitions expertise and experience. He acts for Australian-listed public companies, investment banks, private equity houses and overseas companies which hold Australian investments. Andrew also has an established sports and entertainment law practice.
Andrew has previously worked in an international law firm and major national law firms in Australia and New Zealand. He has also worked as General Counsel at a dual ASX and NZX-listed financial services company and, as such, Andrew understands the internal pressures and legal requirements of in-house lawyers.
Andrew has been in practice as a solicitor for 20 years. He holds two Master of Law degrees, one from Duke University, North Carolina, USA, and one from the University of New South Wales, specialising in corporate and securities law. Andrew is admitted to the High Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of New Zealand.
Andrew is highly regarded by his clients as a stand out, trusted adviser.
- Private equity
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Equity capital markets
- Strategic joint venture transactions
- Corporate governance issues
- Financial Services
- Consumer and competition law
- Sports and entertainment law
- Navis Capital Partners – advising on Navis Capital’s sale of Blueprint Group to Strikeforce AMC.
- Navis Capital Partners – advising on Navis Capital’s acquisition of the Wordmark Group from RMB Capital.
- Navis Capital Partners – advising Navis Capital’s investment company, Modern Star, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions.
- Navis Capital Partners – advising Navis Capital’s investment company, Device Technologies, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions.
- Navis Capital Partners – advising Navis Capital’s investment company, Guardian Early Learning Centre, on numerous bolt-on child care centre acquisitions and management agreements.
- Navis Capital Partners – advising on the acquisition of PeopleBank Australia.
- CHAMP Private Equity – advising CHAMP Private Equity’s investment company, Jaybro Group, on business and share acquisitions.
- Quadrant Private Equity – advising Quadrant Private Equity’s vehicle, Fitzpatricks Private Wealth, on multiple business and share acquisitions.
- Adamantem Capital – advising on its Australasian acquisition of Hellers and Moira Mac’s businesses, and follow on bolt on acquisitions.
- ECI Partners – advising the UK based private equity house, on its investment in Media IQ Digital and the acquisition of Reapit.
- Helmsman Capital – advising on its acquisition of the Dial-A-Doctor group, and follow on bolt-on acquisitions.
- Green Capital Partners – advising on the acquisition of XBlades, and its investment in Stomping Ground and Spectacular Brewery.
- Eli Global – advising the US based fund, on its entry into Australia through the acquisition of Medical Business Solutions and Pulse IT.
- Anacacia Capital – advising on the sale of Big River Group to Anacacia Capital.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Manly Fast Ferry – advising the founders and operators on their divestment of the company to NRMA, and related acquisitions.
- CMC Markets – advising on the acquisition of E*Trade from ANZ Bank.
- Duni – advising this NASDAQ listed Swedish company on the acquisition of BioPak, and follow on bolt on acquisitions.
- Shangri-La Asia (Hong Kong Stock Exchange 0069) – advising on its acquisition of the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney, from the Government Investment Corporation of Singapore for $352 million.
- WPG Resources (ASX: WPG) – advising on the sale of its non-iron ore assets to OneSteel for $364 million.
- WPG Resources (ASX: WPG) – advising on the acquisition of the Challenger Gold Mine from Kingsgate Consolidated (ASX: KCN).
- NetComm Wireless (ASX: NTC) – advising on its scheme of arrangement with Casa Systems which saw Casa Systems fully acquire the equity interests in NetComm Wireless.
- Signature Gold – advised on its scheme of arrangement with StratMin Global Resources which saw StratMin Global Resources fully acquire the equity interests in Signature Gold.
- Charterhouse Partnership – advising on the public company takeover of ASX listed Hamilton James & Bruce Group (ASX: HJB).
- Pan Pacific Petroleum (ASX: PPP) – advising on its takeover defence in respect of the on-market takeover offer from Zeta Resources.
- Funchal Limitada – advising on the placement of South American Ferro Metals (formerly an ASX listed company) into administration and the purchase of its assets, including the preparation of transaction documentation, payment of debt and procurement of the release of security interests (the transaction was conducted in part with Deutsche Bank as one of the counterparties).
- Australian Petroleum Investments Group – advising on the three stage successful $700 million bid for the shares of Delhi Petroleum, a Cooper Basin oil and gas joint venturer.
- Kaplan Australia – advising on the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, Franklyn Scholar, to Acquire Learning & Careers.
- Hannan Group – advising on the acquisition of the remaining 50 percent of the printing, publishing and distribution businesses of Independent Print Media Group held by the Fairfax Group.
- Velocity Brand Management – advising on the acquisition by Super Retail Group (ASX: SRG) of 50 percent of Velocity Brand Management’s sports online and venue retail business, VBM Retail.
- Eka Software Solutions – advising this global Indian software provider, on the acquisition of all of the shares in The Matrix Group of Companies.
- Kimgres Sdn. Bhd. – advising this Malaysian stock exchange listed company on the acquisition of Amber Tiles from Greenstone Partners Capital.
Equity Capital Markets
- Atrum Coal (ASX: ATU) – advising on numerous matters, including: complex directors issues with respect to disclosure to ASX of margin loans and related appearances at ex-parte interlocutory injunction proceedings, multiple capital raisings by way of placements, rights issues, section 713 prospectus issues, convertible notes, options and equity placement facilities.
- NetComm Wireless (ASX: NTC) – advising on its fully underwritten A$50 million share placement and A$10 million share purchase plan.
- WPG Resources (ASX: WPG) – advising on a A$75 million institutional placement and a 1 for 10 non-renounceable pro-rata rights issue to eligible shareholders raising A$9.5 million.
- Medical Imaging Australasia (ASX: MIA) – advising on its successful $75 million IPO and ASX listing.
- Signature Gold – advising on its IPO and ASX listing.
- PowerTel (ASX: PWT) – advising on its $110 million rights issues and public capital raising.
- Veritas Securities – advising on the fully underwritten accelerated non-renounceable entitlement issue (“ANREO”) by Skydive the Beach Group (ASX: SKB) to raise $19.5 million.
Sports and Entertainment
- Waratahs Rugby – advising on the Venue Hire Agreement with the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust.
- Waratahs Rugby – advising on all governance and board issues, player and coach contracts and major and minor sponsorship agreements.
- NSW Rugby League – advising on governance and board issues and major and minor sponsorship agreements.
- NSW Rugby League – advising on the acquisition of Blatchey’s Blues and related advice.
- New Zealand Rugby Football Union – advising on various rugby player contract issues, sponsorship issues and intellectual property protection issues.
- New Zealand Rugby Football Union – advising on damages claims by spinally injured rugby players.
- Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club – advising on the clubs privatisation.
- Australian Turf Club – advising on its unincorporated joint venture with the Keystone Group with respect to Level 4 of the new grandstand at Randwick Racecourse, Sydney.
- GWS Football Club – advising this AFL franchisee, on the establishment of its charitable foundation.
- Big Day Out – advising on the strategic investment in the Big Day Out by US private equity backed C3 Group and on the sale of the Big Day Out to C3.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recommended for Corporate and M&A.
- Doyle’s Guide, recommended for Corporate and Capital Markets.