John has been a lawyer for 35 years, most of that time acting on behalf of state government, statutory authorities and local government This includes representing clients and advising on all manner of planning issues, including appearing before VCAT and other tribunals and Planning Panels Victoria. In governance, John is highly regarded for his work in electronic gaming applications, rating and valuations matters, National Competition Policy and trade practice compliance and prosecutions.
John is highly regarded in the industry and has been awarded the following rankings:
- Ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of 2013 – 2018 for Planning & Environment Law and Government Practice from 2016 – 2018
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide as a Pre-Eminent Planning & Environment Lawyer in 2019.
- Administrative Law
- Compliance and Enforcement
- Local Government Law
- Planning and Environment
- Regularly appearing before the Planning and the Occupational and Business Lists of VCAT, Planning Panels Victoria and Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
- Acting in a number of landmark Supreme Court matters, including City of Melbourne v Commissioner of Land Tax (land tax issue), Victorian Superannuation Board v City of Melbourne (rateability of land), 101 Collins Street Pty Ltd v City of Melbourne (supplementary valuation), Shell Australia Ltd v City of Melbourne (valuation appeal) and ISPT v City of Melbourne (valuation of heritage building)
- Providing planning advice on a number of significant State developments and property transactions, including major broadacre subdivisions, industrial renewal projects and activity centre planning
- Personally appearing in over 1000 prosecutions on behalf of state government authorities and councils
- Representing local government clients in significant electronic gaming machine applications considered by the VCGLR and VCAT.