John is a partner in the Planning & Environment Group. John has been a lawyer for over 25 years, most of that time acting on behalf of state government, statutory authorities and local government This includes representing clients and advising on all manner of planning issues – including appearing before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and other Tribunals and Panels. In governance, John is highly regarded for his work in electronic gaming applications, rating and valuations matters, National Competition Policy and trade practice compliance and prosecutions.
John is highly regarded in the industry and has been awarded the following rankings:
- Ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of 2013 – 2018 for Planning and Environment Law and Insolvency and Government Practice from 2016 – 2018
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide as a Pre-Eminent Planning & Environment Lawyer in 2017.
- Administrative Law
- Environment and Planning
- Local Government Law
- Prosecutions and Enforcement
- Regularly appearing before the Planning and the Occupational and Business Lists of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Planning Panels Victoria and Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
- Acting in a number of landmark Supreme Court matters including City of Melbourne v Commissioner of Land Tax (land tax issue), Victorian Superannuation Board v City of Melbourne (rateability of land), 101 Collins Street Pty Ltd v City of Melbourne (supplementary valuation), Shell Australia Ltd v City of Melbourne (valuation appeal) and ISPT v City of Melbourne (valuation of heritage building)
- Providing planning advice on a number of significant State developments and property transactions, including major broadacre subdivisions, industrial renewal projects and activity centre planning
- Personally appearing in over 700 prosecutions on behalf of state government authorities and councils
- Representing local government clients in significant electronic gaming machine applications considered by the VCGLR and VCAT.