Briana specialises in planning and environment law. She has extensive experience advising clients on a wide range of matters in relation to strategic and statutory planning and environmental law and regularly appears as an advocate at VCAT and Planning Panels Victoria hearings.
Over the past 12 years, Briana has become recognised as a specialist in strategic planning. She routinely advises clients on the full range of issues that arise during the lifecycle of a strategic project, including the drafting and implementation of planning provisions.
She has also completed a 14-month placement at Planning Panels Victoria as a Senior Project Manager working with various Planning Panels appointed to consider planning scheme amendments involving the implementation of Precinct Structure Plans. Briana was recognised by Doyle’s Guide 2019 as a Planning and Environment Rising Star and as a Leading Town Planning & Development Lawyer in Doyle's Guide 2020.
Planning & Environment
Advising clients on a wide range of matters in relation to strategic and statutory planning and environmental law, regularly appearing as an advocate at VCAT and Planning Panels Victoria hearings.
- Advising in respect of planning scheme amendments and the full range of issues that arise during the lifecycle of a strategic project during inception, preparation, public notice, hearing and the implementation stage of a project.
- Advice to Planning Authorities in relation to compliance with statutory procedures in the preparation and implementation of planning scheme amendments.
- Advocate at Planning Panels Victoria in relation to planning scheme amendments relating to a wide range of planning and environmental law issues, including rezoning land for residential, commercial or industrial purposes and applying relevant overlay controls in relation to urban design and cultural heritage.
- Expertise in growth area planning and associated infrastructure funding mechanisms.
Representing various municipal councils at VCAT in relation to statutory planning decisions.
Statutory interpretation and advice
- Advising on the interpretation and application of the Planning and Environment Act 1987, the Victorian Planning Provisions and the Subdivision Act 1988 and other associated legislation.
- Drafting and interpreting conditions of planning permits and agreements under s 173 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987
Maddocks appoints three new partners as part of latest senior lawyer promotions
Meet our three new partners and newly promoted senior lawyers
Where to now with clause 52.27?
In this article, we report on a decision of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (Tribunal) which, if...
Making planning documents available: Updated DELWP Planning Practice Note 74
DELWP has updated its Planning Practice Note 74 on Making planning documents available to the public.