Maria is an experienced advocate in the Planning and Environment jurisdiction, appearing both in VCAT matters and before Planning Panels Victoria. She has developed an expertise in large EES matters through working on the hazardous waste facility case in Mildura, a boat ramp facility in East Gippsland and the desalination plant in Wonthaggi. Maria worked for three years as a senior policy adviser to John Thwaites, MLA, Victorian Minister for Health and Minister for planning from 2000 – 2003. In May 2012, Maria was made a Fellow of the Victorian Planning and Environmental Law Association.
- Ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Planning and Environment Law in 2016 – 2018.
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide 2016 as a Leading Planning & Environment Lawyer.
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide 2015 as a Leading Planning & Environment Lawyer.
- Administrative law
- Land acquisition and compensation
- Statutory interpretation
- Town planning
- Advising and appearing as an advocate on behalf of local government authorities in the planning list of the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal.
- Acting for local government authorities in applications for interlocutory and permanent injunctions, in the Supreme Court and, on appeal in the Victorian Court of Appeal and the High Court.
- Acting for acquiring authorities and claimants in relation to land acquisition and compensation matters, including contested matters in the Supreme Court of Victoria and at the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal
- Advising government authorities on whether proposed course of action are within power and defending authorities against allegations of acting outside their powers, including Supreme Court proceedings.