Sunny advises a range of Commonwealth government agencies on the legislative, policy and probity frameworks relevant to procurement and grants funding processes. He works closely with project teams and in-house legal teams to ensure that decisions to spend taxpayers' money are arrived at fairly, defensibly, ethically and on a value-for-money basis.
As an experienced probity adviser, Sunny provides strategic advice in the planning, approach to market and evaluation stages of procurement and grants processes, and is often called upon to provide training to agencies, and to assist agencies handle complaints, audits and enquiries.
He also has experience in administrative law, regulatory law and government investigations.
Extensive experience acting as probity adviser including:
- Australian Financial Security Authority (ICT infrastructure and application procurements including the replacement of the Personal Property Securities Register),
- Department of Defence (various estate and infrastructure projects including, most recently, the Riverina Redevelopment Program),
- Geoscience Australia (Southern Positioning Augmentation Network Project),
- Australian Antarctic Division of the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water (Macquarie Island modernisation, Davis Aerodrome Project, Antarctic Infrastructure Renewal Program)
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Overseas Property Office construction tenders), and
- Australian Public Service Commission (consultancy and outsourced external IT service provider procurements).
Procurement & Contracting
Advised on arrangements between the Commonwealth Department of Employment and outsourced employment services providers in respect of a range of purchasing activities implemented as part of the Australian Government’s national employment services program.
Provided probity advice to Commonwealth agencies on tender processes establishing panels including the Defence Support Services Panel and Major Services Provider Panel for the Department of Defence (Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group), Defence Infrastructure Panel – Environment, Heritage and Estate Engineering Services for the Department of Defence (Security and Estate Group), and Whole of Australian Government panels for the provision of Enterprise Resource Planning ‘Software as a Service’ Services and Car Rental Services for the Department of Finance.
Advised on multiple grant rounds of the Partners in the Community Program which supports the implementation of the NDIS at a local community and enables the National Disability Insurance Agency to partner with suitably experienced and qualified organisations to deliver Local Area Coordination services and Early Childhood Early Intervention Services.
Freedom of Information
Provided Commonwealth agencies with advice and assistance on the processing of FOI requests, including undertaking or responding to third party consultation processes, and advising on exemptions and conditional exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
Audits and Complaints
Assisted Commonwealth agencies investigate and respond to complaints made under the Government Procurement (Judicial Review) Act 1982, as well as undertake audits following detection of instances of potential non-compliance with probity protocols.