Veena has extensive experience in advising tenants and principals in commercial property transactions, with a particular focus on major office accommodation projects. She has a particular interest in considering how to ensure sustainability and energy efficiency commitments are factored into commercial property transactions.
She also has significant experience in providing probity, process and procurement advice on projects which have operational significance, involve unique arrangements or are subject to close stakeholder scrutiny.
Veena's experience includes periods of time seconded to Commonwealth clients and has previously worked as a contractor to the in-house legal team of a large financial services company in London. The breadth and depth of her experience enables her to look at issues holistically and develop solutions that are appealing to a broad range of client stakeholders.
Veena regularly delivers presentations on the “Lease and its Language” which is offered as part of the Property Council of Australia’s Leasing Fundamentals Program.
Veena is passionate about giving back to the profession and her community. She was a former Councillor of the Law Society of the ACT (2020-2022) and volunteers on a number of committees, such as the firm’s CALD network, the Asian Australian Lawyers Network, the Property Council of Australia Retirement Living Committee (ACT) and the Law Council of Australia’s Business and Human Rights Committee (ACT).
Awards & Recognition:
- Sponsor, 500 Women in Property, Property Council of Australia, 2023
- Finalist, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander/Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, ACT Women Lawyers Awards, 2022
Department of Defence
Advising on large scale leasing procurements for office spaces in Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Perth. These matters have had complex fitout requirements with security overlays and green leasing requirements.
National Capital Authority
Advising on agreements relating to the construction and maintenance of roads located on National Land, including liaising with stakeholder entities such as the Department of Defence.
Portfolio leasing requirements
Advising a number of corporate and non-Commonwealth entities on portfolio leasing needs nationally, including establishing new office accommodation, renewals, variations, advising on issues arising under existing leases (such as rights to abatement for damage/destruction and the scope of make good obligations), advising on communications and storage area licences.
- Acting for non-corporate Commonwealth entities on agreements for lease, leases and licences at major airports nationally, including to exercise statutory functions.
- Property related due diligence: Leading property related due diligence to assist financiers in relation to the acquisition of a variety of sites in the ACT, including hotels, mixed use developments and childcare centres.
- Advising on programs of works for construction and property related procurements nationally (including those in remote and regional areas) and sales of property.
- Business transformation programmes: Advising non-corporate Commonwealth entities on numerous ICT-led business transformation programs.
- Trials of innovative service delivery models: Advising a non-corporate Commonwealth entity on the procurement of providers for a trail of innovative and flexible service delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic