“Maddocks are exceptionally responsive and experienced, and always do things by the time they say they will. They make the client feel they are in control.”
Client feedback in Chambers Asia Pacific
Our clients in local government highlight the challenge of supporting the changing needs of local constituents against a backdrop of population growth, infrastructure pressure, service requirements, workforce stability and natural resource scarcity. They are measured on their ability to deliver services and infrastructure efficiently, effectively and in a timely and cost-conscious manner. Success in this space comes with significant financial investment and councils’ ability to raise the appropriate revenue to fully fund these projects is a major priority.
We work across all tiers of government, so our lawyers are uniquely placed to understand the political and regulatory environment in NSW. The path to strengthened local communities is complex and there are opportunities to share resources and consider alternative structures to deliver improved services. Our people hold the experience to sharpen your thinking, allowing you to absorb opportunities with the confidence of solid legal backing.
We currently represent more than 50 metropolitan and regional councils in the State, a number of cooperative schemes including Regional Organisations of Councils like NSROC and SEROC and various peak bodies including Local Government NSW, Local Government Professionals Australia NSW and Local Government Procurement.
We offer advice to councils across the following areas:
- administrative decisions and reviews
- advice on day to day internal governance issues
- civil enforcement of council orders
- code of conduct reviews
- commercial contracts
- delivery of services including (but not limited to) waste collection and disposal, civic centres, sewerage, roads and water
- development applications
- dispute resolution
- employment and workplace health and safety
- major infrastructure projects
- environmental prosecutions
- native title
Shared services in local government and joint organisations help to achieve important outcomes for councils and their communities. We are one of the only law firms in NSW that works with Regional Organisations of Councils to facilitate the joint procurement of services.
Members of our local government team are recognised as leading lawyers in their respective areas of law with the many of them recognised in the major legal directories for their skills.
When you engage us, you will notice we are committed to consistently high levels of service, and that we understand the importance of accessibility, responsiveness, cost consciousness and transparency. Working with us means you can expect to receive open communication, well-scoped, appropriately resourced and effectively managed matters for your council.
Here’s how we’re connected with your industry:
- Maddocks is a long-time sponsor of the Annual Local Government NSW (previously LGA & LGSA) conference
- we are corporate partners of Local Government Professionals Australia, NSW, and host their Senior Leaders Mentoring Program
- we also play a key role in advising Local Government NSW, the Department of Local Government, Local Government Professionals Australia NSW and Local Government Procurement.
- Major Projects Guidance for Local Government (2014), co-authored by Maddocks and EY. A Council guide to developing a business case, procuring and delivering major infrastructure projects for your Council.
- Land and Environment Court Reporter in partnership with Local Government NSW.
Awards and recognition
Best lawyers 2017
- Andrew Chapman – Construction/Infrastructure
- Bronwyn Badcock – Real Property
- Jeff Goodall – Information Technology
- Patrick Ibbotson – Water, Lawyer of the Year 2017
Chambers Asia 2017
- Maddocks is ranked in the following areas: Construction; Corporate and M&A; Employment; Environment; Government; Real Estate; Restructuring and insolvency; Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT); IT and Telecommunications
- Andrew Chapman is ranked in Construction
- Jeff Goodall is ranked in Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications
- Patrick Ibbotson is ranked in Environment; Government
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016/17
Recognised for the following areas:
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual property
- Real estate
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Workplace, Health and Safety
Doyle’s Guide 2016/17
Recommended for the following areas:
- Employment – NSW
- Construction – NSW
- Planning & Environment – NSW
- Property & Real Estate – NSW