“Helping council clients grow, develop and nurture their communities against a changing regulatory landscape is our objective. Increasing pressures for councils to deliver more, often with less, while balancing the need to maintain consistent service levels to their communities creates an ever challenging environment in which they work.”
Prue Burns – Partner and Sector Leader – Local Government NSW
Our clients in local government highlight the challenge of supporting the changing needs of local constituents against a backdrop of population growth, infrastructure pressure, service requirements, workforce stability and natural resource scarcity. They are measured on their ability to deliver services and infrastructure efficiently, effectively and in a timely and cost-conscious manner. Success in this space comes with significant financial investment and councils’ ability to raise the appropriate revenue to fully fund these projects is a major priority.
We work across all tiers of government, so our lawyers are uniquely placed to understand the political and regulatory environment in NSW. The path to strengthened local communities is complex and there are opportunities to share resources and consider alternative structures to deliver improved services. Our people hold the experience to sharpen your thinking, allowing you to absorb opportunities with the confidence of solid legal backing.
We currently represent more than 50 metropolitan and regional councils in the State, a number of cooperative schemes including Regional Organisations of Councils like NSROC and SEROC and various peak bodies including Local Government NSW, Local Government Professionals Australia NSW and Local Government Procurement.
We offer advice to councils across the following areas:
- administrative decisions and reviews
- advice on day to day internal governance issues
- civil enforcement of council orders
- code of conduct reviews
- commercial contracts
- delivery of services including (but not limited to) waste collection and disposal, civic centres, sewerage, roads and water
- development applications
- dispute resolution
- employment and workplace health and safety
- major infrastructure projects
- environmental prosecutions
- native title
Shared services in local government and joint organisations help to achieve important outcomes for councils and their communities. We are one of the only law firms in NSW that works with Regional Organisations of Councils to facilitate the joint procurement of services.
Members of our local government team are recognised as leading lawyers in their respective areas of law with the many of them recognised in the major legal directories for their skills.
When you engage us, you will notice we are committed to consistently high levels of service, and that we understand the importance of accessibility, responsiveness, cost consciousness and transparency. Working with us means you can expect to receive open communication, well-scoped, appropriately resourced and effectively managed matters for your council.
Here’s how we’re connected with your industry:
- Maddocks is a long-time sponsor of the Annual Local Government NSW (previously LGA & LGSA) conference
- we are corporate partners of Local Government Professionals Australia, NSW, and host their Senior Leaders Mentoring Program
- we also play a key role in advising Local Government NSW, the Department of Local Government, Local Government Professionals Australia NSW and Local Government Procurement.
- Major Projects Guidance for Local Government (2014), co-authored by Maddocks and EY. A Council guide to developing a business case, procuring and delivering major infrastructure projects for your Council.
- Land and Environment Court Reporter in partnership with Local Government NSW.
Awards and recognition
Best lawyers 2014
- Andrew Chapman – Construction / infrastructure
- Jeff Goodall – Information Technology
- Bronwyn Badcock – Real Property
Chambers Asia 2014
- Andrew Chapman – Construction – Ranked as Up and Coming
- Construction as a team – “They have demonstrated skill in the areas of construction, operation and maintenance procurement.” “They have always turned work around within the timeframes requested.”
- Employment as a team – “They are calm, patient, very knowledgeable, responsive, clear and flexible.” “They are proactive, thereby minimising risk.”
- Patrick Ibbotson – Environment – Ranked
“has a great depth of knowledge and extensive experience,” say sources. They add: “His years of experience show through both his legal understanding and his practical and commercial understanding of different situations and scenarios.”
- Environment as a team – “Their lawyers always make themselves accessible and have good communication styles.” “Their advice is easy to read and reflects commercial and practical elements as well as legal ones.”
- Real Estate as a team – “They’re professional, friendly and genuinely interested in the projects being undertaken.” “They are good to deal with because they provide commercial advice and good value for money.”
- Jeff Goodall – IT
- IT as a team – Recognised.
Legal 500 2014
Recognised for the following areas:
- Intellectual property
- Projects and infrastructure
- Real estate
Doyle’s Guide 2014
- Recommended – Employment
- Recommended – Planning & Environment
- Patrick Ibbotson listed as a leading individual
- Recommended – Intellectual Property.