Julian advises private equity firms, founders, the Australian arms of global corporations and funds, and inbound foreign investors. His practice covers private and public M&A, shareholder and joint venture arrangements, corporate restructures and commercial trading terms.
Julian structures deals with clients and their financial and tax advisers, negotiates key transaction documents, advises on technical matters of corporate governance and regulatory compliance, and provides ongoing (post-acquisition) advice and legal risk management. Further specialist areas of expertise include foreign investment and employee incentive schemes.
For each transaction, Julian forms a team with expert colleagues (as required) in our technology, employment, property, banking and finance, health and education teams.
- Advised Navis Capital’s (and now PEP’s) education investment company, Modern Star, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions of educational supplies and ed-tech companies.
- Advised Scully Investment Holdings on its strategic acquisition of Australian Trailer Rentals, including corporate restructuring and debt/equity financing.
- Advised Redwood North on its recent investments in the Profusion Group (an executive talent provider) and Rhino Play (a children’s playground manufacturer).
- Advised Fitzpatricks Private Wealth on multiple acquisitions and divestments of financial planning businesses for the group.
- Acted for Adamantem Capital on its significant Australasian acquisition of Hellers and Moira Mac’s businesses and subsequent bolt-on acquisition of Canon Foods.
- Advised Jaybro Group, an investment vehicle of CPE and a national supplier of consumables specialising in site delivery for mid-large civil infrastructure and construction contractors, on a significant share acquisition and multiple business acquisitions.
- Advised Five V on bolt-on acquisitions to the Probe Group and Zenith Investment Partners platform companies.
- Advised Navis Capital’s investment company, Device Technologies, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions in medical device, hospital equipment and training/education companies.
- Advised Green Capital Partners on the acquisition of XBlades, and its investment in Stomping Ground and Spectacular Brewery.
Inbound foreign investment
- Advised global Indian software provider Eka Software Solutions Pte. Limited on its acquisition of the commodity handling software vendor, The Matrix Group.
- Acted for Swedish based multinational, Duni AG, in the acquisition of 78% of BioPak and its related bodies corporate, an Australasian sustainable food service packaging and disposables business.
- Advised US-based fund Eli Global on its entry into Australia through the acquisitions of Medical Business Solutions and Pulse IT.
- Advised Malaysian stock exchange listed companKimgres Sdn Bhd on its acquisition of Amber Group (a premium tiling/paver group) from Greenstone Partners Capital. Amber Group operates a network of 24 franchised stores and three company-owned stores.
- Advised Agility CIS on Australian aspects of the acquisition of the WebTools business.
- Acted for Canadian-based Saputo Inc on the AUD 500 million purchase of Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory Co. Maddocks advised on all stages of legal due diligence, transaction document review and amendment, and liaison with regulators.
- Regularly advises foreign companies on Australian Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) requirements, lodges applications and leads communications/RFI responses with FIRB.
- Regularly advises on the establishment of businesses in Australia without a lease/premises footprint.
Founder/target transaction advice
- Advised ASX-listed NetComm Wireless on its scheme of arrangement with Casa Systems which saw Casa Systems acquire all equity interests in NetComm Wireless.
- Advised Diversified Minerals on the sale of the Dargues Gold Mine to Aurelia Metals Limited (ASX:AMI) for up to A$205 million, and the on sale of the Henty Gold Mine to Catalyst Metals (ASX:CYL) for up to A$20 million.
- Advised the shareholders of Manly Fast Ferry on their divestment of the group to NRMA, Australia’s peak road association.
- Acted for the shareholders of Soap Creative on the sale of 100 percent of the shares to Dentsu Aegis Network, the multinational media and digital marketing communications company.
- Advised Signature Gold on a proposal from StratMin Global Resources Plc (AIM-listed) to acquire all of the issued securities in Signature Gold by way of scheme of arrangement under Part 5.1 of the Corporations Act 2001.
- Advised Navis Capital on the sale of Blueprint Group to Strikeforce AMC.
- Advised Kaplan Australia on the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary in the education industry, Franklyn Scholar, to Acquire Learning & Careers.
- Advised financial services/accounting business Pride Advice on its divestment of assets into co-owned joint venture vehicles (with ongoing referral and licensing arrangements).
- Advised the original co-founder of the Australasian 'Big Day Out' music festival on the strategic investment in the Big Day Out by US private equity backed C3 Group; advised on the sale of the Big Day Out to C3.
- Advised Fitzpatricks Private Wealth on its divestment of the Retirement Victoria business to Freedom Finance Australia.
- Advised the founders on the sale of Big River Group to Anacacia Capital.
Corporate, commercial and specialist advice
- Regularly advises a leading liquor company on major contracts for procurement, distribution, sponsorship (including for music/arts and sports) and bar/restaurant partnerships, corporate governance, and coordinates advice on privacy, property and disputes matters.
- Regularly advises a leading electronics company on general commercial contracts.
- Regularly advises a major international investment bank on Australian compliance relating to the bank’s global share purchase and incentive plans for executives.
- Advises an education supplies business on IP licensing, distribution and procurement and trading terms, and coordinates advice on privacy, modern slavery and other regulatory compliance requirements.
- Regularly advises a major refrigerated transport business – regularly advises on general commercial contract requirements, insurances, leasing terms, PPSRs (security interest) issues.
- Advises executive managers of a property/infrastructure business on, and negotiated, high-value management equity plan documents.
- Drafted an ASIC / ASX compliant share purchase plan for a listed technology company and advised on all aspects of the proposed plan implementation.
- Regularly presents to Australian boards and advises ‘new-to-Australia’ foreign directors on Australian directors duties and other obligations.
- Regularly advises on cross-border deals to invest in Australian target companies, contract with Australian companies and otherwise establish an Australian foothold (through a new company or branch of a foreign company).