Julian advises private equity firms, founders, the Australian arms of global corporations and funds, and inbound foreign investors. His practice covers private and public M&A, shareholder and joint venture arrangements, corporate restructures and commercial trading terms.
- Advised Navis Capital’s (and now PEP’s) education investment company, Modern Star, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions of educational supplies and ed-tech companies.
- Advised Scully Investment Holdings on its strategic acquisition of Australian Trailer Rentals, including corporate restructuring and debt/equity financing.
- Advised Redwood North on its recent investments in the Profusion Group (an executive talent provider) and Rhino Play (a children’s playground manufacturer).
- Advised Fitzpatricks Private Wealth on multiple acquisitions and divestments of financial planning businesses for the group.
- Acted for Adamantem Capital on its significant Australasian acquisition of Hellers and Moira Mac’s businesses and subsequent bolt-on acquisition of Canon Foods.
- Advised Jaybro Group, an investment vehicle of CPE and a national supplier of consumables specialising in site delivery for mid-large civil infrastructure and construction contractors, on a significant share acquisition and multiple business acquisitions.
- Advised Five V on bolt-on acquisitions to the Probe Group and Zenith Investment Partners platform companies.
- Advised Navis Capital’s investment company, Device Technologies, on numerous bolt-on acquisitions in medical device, hospital equipment and training/education companies.
- Advised Green Capital Partners on the acquisition of XBlades, and its investment in Stomping Ground and Spectacular Brewery.
Inbound foreign investment
- Advised global Indian software provider Eka Software Solutions Pte. Limited on its acquisition of the commodity handling software vendor, The Matrix Group.
- Acted for Swedish based multinational, Duni AG, in the acquisition of 78% of BioPak and its related bodies corporate, an Australasian sustainable food service packaging and disposables business.
- Advised US-based fund Eli Global on its entry into Australia through the acquisitions of Medical Business Solutions and Pulse IT.
- Advised Malaysian stock exchange listed companKimgres Sdn Bhd on its acquisition of Amber Group (a premium tiling/paver group) from Greenstone Partners Capital. Amber Group operates a network of 24 franchised stores and three company-owned stores.
- Advised Agility CIS on Australian aspects of the acquisition of the WebTools business.
- Acted for Canadian-based Saputo Inc on the AUD 500 million purchase of Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory Co. Maddocks advised on all stages of legal due diligence, transaction document review and amendment, and liaison with regulators.
- Regularly advises foreign companies on Australian Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) requirements, lodges applications and leads communications/RFI responses with FIRB.
- Regularly advises on the establishment of businesses in Australia without a lease/premises footprint.
Founder/target transaction advice
- Advised ASX-listed NetComm Wireless on its scheme of arrangement with Casa Systems which saw Casa Systems acquire all equity interests in NetComm Wireless.
- Advised Diversified Minerals on the sale of the Dargues Gold Mine to Aurelia Metals Limited (ASX:AMI) for up to A$205 million, and the on sale of the Henty Gold Mine to Catalyst Metals (ASX:CYL) for up to A$20 million.
- Advised the shareholders of Manly Fast Ferry on their divestment of the group to NRMA, Australia’s peak road association.
- Acted for the shareholders of Soap Creative on the sale of 100 percent of the shares to Dentsu Aegis Network, the multinational media and digital marketing communications company.
- Advised Signature Gold on a proposal from StratMin Global Resources Plc (AIM-listed) to acquire all of the issued securities in Signature Gold by way of scheme of arrangement under Part 5.1 of the Corporations Act 2001.
- Advised Navis Capital on the sale of Blueprint Group to Strikeforce AMC.
- Advised Kaplan Australia on the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary in the education industry, Franklyn Scholar, to Acquire Learning & Careers.
- Advised financial services/accounting business Pride Advice on its divestment of assets into co-owned joint venture vehicles (with ongoing referral and licensing arrangements).
- Advised the original co-founder of the Australasian 'Big Day Out' music festival on the strategic investment in the Big Day Out by US private equity backed C3 Group; advised on the sale of the Big Day Out to C3.
- Advised Fitzpatricks Private Wealth on its divestment of the Retirement Victoria business to Freedom Finance Australia.
- Advised the founders on the sale of Big River Group to Anacacia Capital.
Corporate, commercial and specialist advice
- Regularly advises a leading liquor company on major contracts for procurement, distribution, sponsorship (including for music/arts and sports) and bar/restaurant partnerships, corporate governance, and coordinates advice on privacy, property and disputes matters.
- Regularly advises a leading electronics company on general commercial contracts.
- Regularly advises a major international investment bank on Australian compliance relating to the bank’s global share purchase and incentive plans for executives.
- Advises an education supplies business on IP licensing, distribution and procurement and trading terms, and coordinates advice on privacy, modern slavery and other regulatory compliance requirements.
- Regularly advises a major refrigerated transport business – regularly advises on general commercial contract requirements, insurances, leasing terms, PPSRs (security interest) issues.
- Advises executive managers of a property/infrastructure business on, and negotiated, high-value management equity plan documents.
- Drafted an ASIC / ASX compliant share purchase plan for a listed technology company and advised on all aspects of the proposed plan implementation.
- Regularly presents to Australian boards and advises ‘new-to-Australia’ foreign directors on Australian directors duties and other obligations.
- Regularly advises on cross-border deals to invest in Australian target companies, contract with Australian companies and otherwise establish an Australian foothold (through a new company or branch of a foreign company).
Maddocks appoints four partners in latest round of promotions
Maddocks continues to grow with the appointment of four new partners and the promotion of 43 lawyers from 1 July.
Making waves: Maddocks advises on Manly Fast Ferry sale
Maddocks has advised the founders and operators of the Manly Fast Ferry on their divestment of the company