Mick is a Special Counsel specialising in the areas of financial services (funds management and superannuation), private equity, venture capital and off-market mergers and acquisitions.
He has advised a number of Australia’s prominent fund managers, private equity and venture capital operators on the establishment of wholesale and retail funds, crowd funding structures, capital raisings, Australian Financial Service licencing issues, investment mandates, information memoranda, marketing and disclosure material.
Mick has also acted in a wide range of off-market mergers and acquisitions, assisting clients with the acquisition of interests in, and divestments from, collective investment and other private equity structures.
Mick is a solution driven practitioner. He has assisted superannuation fund trustees and fund managers in dealing with trustee corporate governance, risk management and other regulatory issues arising with the regulators, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) and the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
He has acted in a number of funds management and superannuation-related disputes and has significant experience in the areas of funds management and superannuation-related litigation.
Prior to joining Maddocks in 2012, Mick was at Allens for 13 years where he was a Special Counsel, and prior to that a partner in one of the largest law firms in South Africa.
- Establishment and restructure of wholesale and retail managed investment schemes; private equity and venture capital funds, formation and restructure of superannuation funds; management of funds
- Establishment of crowd funding platforms, and applications for applicable AFSL authorisations
- Corporate governance, risk management and regulatory issues in the superannuation and managed funds spheres, arising with the regulators APRA and ASIC
- Off-market acquisitions, disposals and divestments (equities, alternative investments, property, infrastructure) via special purpose vehicles, collective investment and other private equity structures.
Funds Management, Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Acted for a number of fund managers, private equity and venture capital operators on the establishment, restructure and regulation of wholesale and retail managed funds, private equity and venture capital funds; Australian financial service licence (AFSL) and Innovation Australia related issues and disclosure documents.
- Acted for a number of fund managers, private equity and promoters in relation to the establishment of crowd funding platforms, and applicable AFSL authorisations.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for a range of institutional investors on the merger, acquisition, disposal and divestment of interests in collective investment, limited partnership and other private equity and corporate structures.
- Acted for a number of Australian superannuation funds and fund managers in relation to investment mandates, custody, derivative hedge and currency overlay arrangements.
- Acted for employer sponsors in relation to the establishment of defined benefit and accumulation style superannuation funds, and associated design of benefits.
- Acted on the successful resolution of a major funds management related dispute before the Supreme Court of Victoria.