Ron has over 20 years’ experience of corporate, commercial and financing law. He has been involved in many of Australia’s largest and most complex merger and acquisitions, and is recognised as a leading adviser on transactions involving complex structuring.
Ron has acted on various commercial matters for a range of listed and unlisted companies in connection with joint ventures, long-term contracting and other commercial arrangements. He has also acted for borrowers in relation to the financing of a number of projects.
Prior to joining Maddocks, Ron was a partner at Clayton Utz for 14 years. He has advised clients from a wide range of industries including transport and logistics, mining, consulting, energy and resources, property, and media and entertainment.
Areas of expertise
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Commercial transactions
- Joint ventures
- Acted for Oxiana Limited in its A$12 billion merger by scheme of arrangement with Zinifex Limited.
- Advised Oxiana Limited on the acquisition of the Sepon project from Rio Tinto.
- Acted for Toll Holdings Limited in the A$8 billion demerger by scheme of arrangement which created Asciano Limited.
- Acted for Macquarie Bank Limited in connection with Macquarie’s strategic investment in the Liberty Financial Group.
- Advised HRL Ltd in connection with joint venture arrangements for the development of a 400MW coal-fired power station in the La Trobe Valley.
- Acted for Racing Victoria Limited in connection with the wagering re-licensing process in Victoria.
- Advised Asciano Limited in relation to a proposed investment in a rail project in Saudi Arabia, as well as on a range of restructuring matters arising out of its demerger from the Toll Group.
- Acted for Centro Retail Limited and Centro MCS Manager Limited as responsible entity for the Centro Retail Trust in relation to the restructuring of the Centro Properties Group.
- Acted for the HRL on the sale of its ACIRL coal laboratory division.
- Acted for the HRL on the development of a brown coal mine at Driffield.
- Advised Monash University in connection with the provision of student services.
- Advised MMG Group, the Chinese-owned acquirer of the assets of OZ Minerals, on preparing a suite of standard documents for MMG.
- Advised OZ Minerals Limited in connection with proposed acquisition of a mining asset from Rio Tinto.
- Advised Toll Holdings Limited in connection with several corporate transactions, including the contested takeover of Patrick Corporation, and the demerger to create Asciano Limited.
- Advised TUI Travel PLC in connection with the merger of its Australian operation with Intrepid Travel Group.
- Ron is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 and 2017 as a notable practitioner for Corporate/M&A.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, Ron is recommended for Corporate/M&A.
- Ron is listed as a leading lawyer in the Asialaw Profiles 2016.
- Doyle’s Guide 2015, Ron is recommended for Corporate Law.