Background & Legal Expertise
Scott is Special Counsel in the State Government group, and has extensive experience in advising on commercial and financial matters for government agencies. Scott is well-known within government for his practical approach to legal questions, focusing on the need to achieve effective outcomes and balance stakeholder interests.
Before joining Maddocks, Scott was General Manager Legal & Strategy at New South Wales Treasury Corporation (TCorp, the State’s central financing authority), where he was responsible for advising on and managing the legal risks for the State’s borrowing programs, investment management products and asset financing transactions. His in-house experience brings a depth of understanding of the unique requirements of government agencies and how legal risks are effectively understood, managed and controlled within organisations.
Over the years, Scott has been involved a wide range of financial and commercial matters for NSW, including:
- Leading the NSW team in the negotiation and implementation of the Australian Government Guarantee of State and Territory Borrowings Scheme
- Implementing the AML/CTF compliance plan for TCorp, while leading the successful combined State financing agency exemption application process with AUSTRAC
- Establishing and managing NSW’s multi-manager wholesale unit trust investment vehicle for government clients
- Negotiating the State’s debt capital markets borrowing programmes and associated derivatives transaction documents
- Advising on directors’ duties and governance arrangements for TCorp’s Board
- Advising on the sale of NSW’s 25% stake in Resimac Limited
- Advising on the government refinancing of the 1994 Hawkesbury Hospital PPP
- Advising on the negotiation, management, variation and termination of domestic and cross border lease financings of State assets
- Drafting Cabinet submissions and briefing Parliamentary Counsel in regards to major amendments to NSW financial management legislation