“They have excellent depth of service that covers all aspects of land development. It’s a one-stop shop.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
Property and development is core business at Maddocks.
Our national practice is one of the largest dedicated property and development teams in Australia. We have advised on some of the country’s most significant property and development transactions. Our partners offer deep insight based on years of experience, meaning they identify challenges early before they escalate into real issues for our clients.
Our clients include private and institutional owners and investors, developers, tenants, and property advisory companies, local councils, state and commonwealth government departments, agencies, statutory authorities and institutions (including education and healthcare providers). We advise on all legal aspects of property and real estate.
We work in partnership with you to understand what you want to achieve from your property transaction or project – whether this is to minimise costs, set strategies to counter real or potential risks or ultimately close deals quickly and efficiently. Our lawyers are committed to delivering outcomes that realise your property and development objectives.
How can we help?
For government clients, our lawyers are acutely aware of the need to balance the financial return from the vast array of property matters they advise on with appropriate probity and public interest safeguards. Our work across all three levels of government ranges from providing specialist advice to governments on achieving policy objectives in the context of property redevelopment projects; public/private property joint ventures, leasing and licensing of public land for commercial, recreational and community facilities; compulsory acquisition of land for public purposes to all types of property procurement processes.
For infrastructure clients, we understand the complexities associated with delivering complex mid to large scale projects. We know how to effectively interface with government (local, state, commonwealth) and understand the need to manage multiple stakeholders.
For corporate tenants and property advisors, we know how owners structure their tenancy agreements because we’ve either represented them in the past or acted for their tenants. Our lawyers have a deep knowledge of the Australian property environment, whether it’s a tenant or landlord market for particular geographies or premises. This means we can advise you on the terms of your tenancy agreements taking into account market context. We invest the time to understand you and what you’re trying to achieve, before producing any documents.
For corporate owners and investors, we understand that property isn’t necessarily your core business but a critical enabler to support your commercial needs. We have worked on a wide range of sales, acquisitions, leasing and other property transactions for a number of major corporations. We’re equipped with the insight of how the work we do fits into your bigger and broader business aspects – this means we resolve issues quickly and seamlessly, minimising distraction and allowing you to focus on your core business.
For developer clients, we have a multi-disciplinary team of specialist development lawyers (including Mandarin speakers), who advise our developer clients on all aspects of their residential, commercial and industrial developments. Our extensive experience across the full project lifecycle means we can identify issues you might not have considered, providing you with workable solutions and options. Our development team operates a full service property offering supported by commercial, construction, tax, finance and planning legal expertise.
Creating efficiency through technology
We are a leader in the use of technology to enhance our client service, particularly for large-scale property transactions.
Maddocks eContracts is an electronic contract exchange, specifically tailored to deliver a smoother path to sales.
Maddocks ePortfolio is our cloud-based, streamlined reporting platform. Never happy to stand still, we have recently improved this market-leading platform. We consulted with our clients and industry, and combined our legal expertise with advanced technology to deliver timely intelligence at all stages of your projects – better than ever before. Be informed and in control with Maddocks ePortfolio.
Here’s what we offer:
Corporate real estate
- strategic property advice
- commercial and retail leases and licences
- structuring property transactions
- commercial, industrial and retail property acquisitions and sales
- stamp duty, GST and capital gains tax
- planning and environment restrictions as they affect real property
- property management, risk management and goods & services tax (GST) audits
- building audits and regulation
- facilities management
- public / private partnerships.
- conducting public procurement processes for sale or lease of land, including tenders, request for proposals and expressions of interest
- town centre redevelopment projects, including due diligence, amalgamation of sites and legislative compliance
- development agreements, joint venture arrangements and land exchange agreements with the private sector
- Crown land transactions and advice
- probity advice
- compulsory acquisition advice and procedure
- advising on air and subterranean rights, easements, restrictive covenants and planning agreements
- adverse possession and advice on possessory interests
- advising on roads, including discontinuance and sale of roads
- commercial, retail and community leasing of government land
- commercial leasing by government tenants.
- strategic advice on residential, retail, mixed-use, commercial and industrial property development projects
- corporate and tax structuring including shareholder and joint venture agreements
- property development agreements
- sales and acquisitions of development sites
- indirect taxes including GAIC and land tax
- planning and development agreements with statutory authorities
- construction agreements and delivery methods
- consultant and management agreements
- strata and subdivisional advice including owners corporation structures
- broad acre and built form (including medium-density and high-density residential and mixed-use) development and structuring
- finance negotiation and documentation
- FIRB applications
- volume conveyancing and sales reporting.
- structuring property transactions including property trusts and syndications
- hotel development acquisitions and disposals
- commercial, industrial and retail property acquisitions and disposals
- stamp duty, land tax, capital gains tax and GST
- commercial, industrial, retail and hospitality leasing
- due diligence for property investments
- foreign investment into Australia.
At Maddocks, we work with our clients to carefully scope transactions at the outset, then manage costs to an agreed budget in order to provide transparency in relation to legal fees.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2014, 2019 – “Offers a comprehensive service to a range of public and private sector clients, including foreign investors and major local developers. Especially well regarded for its experience advising government entities.”Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015/2016 – Ranked for Real Estate.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 – 2019 – Ranked for Real Estate.
- Doyle’s Guide 2015 – 2019 – Ranked for Real Estate.
- Best Lawyers 2018 – Pria O’Sullivan for Government Practice and Real Property Law.
- Best Lawyers 2016 – Bronwyn Badcock, David Hartney, Nick Holuigue and Guy O’Connor.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – “Nick Holuigue is admired for his strategic, long-term thinking, and has worked for a wide variety of clients, including landlords, vendors, financial institutions and tenants. He recently advised Mirvac on its acquisition of 465 hectares of land from Boral to develop residential properties, a deal valued at nearly AUD1 billion.”