A partner in the Melbourne Commercial group, Julian has a robust corporate practice specialising in financial services, mergers & acquisitions, trusts and corporations law.
Julian’s combination of knowledge, skills and experience, delivered with a focus on simple and practical legal advice, attracts a diverse range of clients. He advises clients in the funds management and financial services industry, professional services sector, government, and the automotive, property and e-business industries.
Julian was awarded the David Bruce Memorial Prize for Financial Sector Regulation when completing his Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne.
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Corporations law
- Funds management and financial services
- Self managed superannuation
- Equity and trusts
- Distressed assets
Funds Management and Financial Services
Julian advises on the establishment of wholesale property and equity funds, the establishment and licensing of disruptive financial services businesses (including online OTC FX and commodities exchanges), financial services industry M&A and complex AFS licensing and compliance issues.
- Start-ups: advising clients on capital, structuring and licensing requirements for newly established wholesale and retail funds management businesses.
- Established: custody, investment management, conflicts management, unit pricing, administrative and platform services.
- Advanced financial services: AFS licence variations and compliance issues; prime brokerage and securities lending; market-making and OTC derivatives.
- SMSF sector: specialist advice on borrowing in SMSFs; compliance advice and ATO audit; advanced structuring alternatives for SMSF investments.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Julian acts for and alongside some of Australia’s most prominent professional services organisations, including Thomson Reuters and Grant Thornton Australia. Julian understands the industry in which his clients participate and provides considered advice which is strategic and focused on commercial outcomes.
Julian takes pride in working collaboratively alongside other accounting, corporate finance and advisory professionals, to achieve outstanding results for mutual clients. He has also acted for buyers and sellers of businesses in the automotive, publishing, cinema, human resources, real estate, manufacturing, retail, veterinary and child care industries.
- Preparatory: Advising on due diligence, exclusivity and confidentiality issues, and pre-transactional stages (heads of agreement, terms sheets).
- Transactional: Conducting complex negotiations and effecting transaction programs; finance and equity negotiations; vendor and seller transaction structuring advice; completion management.
Julian’s recent work includes restructuring and succession planning for motor vehicle dealers; demerger, capital raising and private equity investments, resolving protracted shareholder, partnership and joint venture disputes; advising on structuring of businesses in the engineering, training and education, veterinary, manufacturing, sustainability and logistics industries.
- Business lifecycle structuring: advising on establishment, expansion, succession planning and divestment issues for business; incentive structures and employee share plans.
- Adversarial: shareholder and partnership disputes and mediation.
- Governance: advising on structuring and compliance in relation to debt and capital transactions; directors’ duties and corporate governance; financial assistance, share buy-backs and capital reductions.
Equity & trusts
Julian advises professional services firms, State Government departments and authorities, and financial services organisations on all aspects of establishing, structuring, monitoring & regulating, and winding-up trusts.
- Schemes: advising on registered and unregistered managed investments; compliance with financial services obligations; compliance with trustee and equitable duties.
- Private trusts: advising on all forms of private business and investment trusts, including SMSFs, discretionary trusts, unit (fixed and non-fixed) and hybrid trusts.
- Special trusts: advising on the monitoring and regulation of patriotic funds, and fee-protection schemes in the tertiary education and training sector.
Julian’s extensive transactional experience, means he efficiently manages complex and urgent transactions in distressed sale situations. Julian has acted in transactions of this nature in the professional services, automotive and property industries.
- Pre-insolvency: restructures and business-line divestments; refinancing and de-leveraging; equity and quasi-equity raisings; business dispute resolution.
- Insolvency: asset sale programs for receivers and liquidators; urgent asset and business sales.