Paul has particular expertise in commercial agreements for the supply of goods and/or services, the Personal Property Securities Act 2009, the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009 and the National Credit Code, the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Consumer Law.
Paul also has substantial experience in the procurement by government departments and agencies of goods and services, the creation, application and operation of delegated legislation, and the administration and management of public justice services. This includes the delivery of justice services in conjunction with other government departments, community organisations and private service providers.
Before joining Maddocks in 2005, Paul was employed for 13 years with the Victorian Department of Justice, principally as a Deputy Registrar in the Victorian Magistrate’s Court, but also as a legislation, policy and project officer for the Department.
- Consumer Law
- Credit and Securities Law
- Commercial Law
- Government contracts.
- WEX Australia Pty Ltd – providing corporate advice including on significant financing arrangements, preparing a range of commercial agreements and advises on key aspects of payment systems, financial services and consumer law compliance.
- MessageMedia – advising on, negotiating and drafting transaction documents for, several significant acquisition transactions.
- Victorian Department of Justice and Regulation – negotiating and drafting documents relating to key subcontracts connected with the supply, configuration, localisation, implementation, hosting and support of the State’s new infringement, enforcement and warrants system which will be used to process and collect more than $500 million in State revenue annually.
- Infringement Management and Enforcement Services – managing a team of lawyers representing the Sheriff of Victoria and the Director of Fines in Magistrates’ Court hearings for the enforcement of fines and penalties and advises on enforcement processes.
- Commonwealth Department of Health – drafting and negotiating the National Diabetes Services Scheme Agreement with Diabetes Australia to facilitate the supply of subsidised products and services to over one million people with diabetes.
- Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Energy – advising on various agreements for the provision of complex services, including contracts being extended, varied or terminated.
- Local government bodies – advising on the procurement of goods and services and the protection of interests from risks associated with contractor insolvency.