“The Government operates in a context where its constituents are local but the market for its suppliers, for finance and for skills is increasingly global. This is creating new challenges to delivery, governance and accountability structures.”
Patrick Ibbotson – Partner and Chairman
Every aspect of our lives is underpinned by the work of State Government. From roads and rail to justice, through schools and hospitals to property rights, water and safety – State Government holds the power to drive socially, economically and environmentally sustainable growth and development: to deliver thriving communities.
In this infinitely complex undertaking, the context and drivers of good policy, strategy and outcomes are evolving. Modern demands of productivity, private sector participation, technology and environmental protection need to be understood. Stakeholders must respond against traditional concerns of transparency, probity, consistency, fiscal imbalance, development, jobs and welfare.
Maddocks works with the State Government to deliver results, efficiently. We are commercial lawyers, uniquely embedded in government. Our people hold decades of experience working with government clients. We understand the need for timely, commercial, accurate and well-expressed legal advice that is sensitive to the government context.
Our lawyers deliver cost-effective, timely legal advice across:
- Infrastructure Projects and Construction – our team offers experience gathered through having acted for government on projects since the early 1990s. These projects range from the M2 and Eastern Distributor to the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link, to the Wynyard Walk, urban renewal of North Eveleigh and Newcastle. We operate across the full range of project needs including project planning and approval, contracting and delivery, land, regulatory, financing and operational issues.
- Utilities and Services – we have extensive experience for power, water and waste water providers such as Sydney Water, TransGrid, Essential Energy, Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy and electricity generation.
- Regulation – our lawyers deliver knowledge-based advice in the development, interpretation, application and enforcement of legislation and with the development of policies underpinning legislation including in areas such as employment, safety, environment, planning, property, energy markets and gaming.
- Procurement including tendering and probity processes and requirements.
- Information including GIPPA, Privacy, Privilege, State records and archives, document destruction and Parliamentary inquiries.
- Technology including IT contracts and outsourcing, intellectual property and telecommunications.
- Property and development including urban renewal, asset recycling, land rights, native title, commercial leasing and sales.
- Planning and environment including assessment and approvals, heritage, pollution, contaminated land, vegetation and clearing, offsets and compliance.
- Disputes and inquiries including ADR processes, litigation, Royal Commissions and Parliamentary inquiries.
- Outsourcing policies, structures, contracts and disputes.
- Employment – all aspects of employment, restructuring, safety, workplace conduct and disputes.
Examples of our work include:
- Advising Transport for NSW on the >$280 million Wynyard Walk Project which will link Wynyard Station and the developing CBD corridor and the Barangaroo South development.
- Advising the Hunter Development Corporation on the Intertrade Industrial Park project.
- Advising NSW Trade and Investment, NSW Finance and Services and NSW Treasury on transitioning the workforce of the Forestry Commission of NSW (Forests NSW), from multiple NSW state awards onto a new single enterprise agreement, in preparation for corporatisation which occurred on 1 January 2013.
- Advising NSW Health, NSW Ambulance Service and numerous Local Health Districts (LHDs) on employment and workplace health and safety matters.
- Advising Family and Community Services in its response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- Advising on numerous land access arrangements and compulsory acquisitions for major projects such as WestConnex, Wynyard Walk, Southern Sydney Freight Line and many others.
We work together to make a difference…every day. For government, this means ensuring our advice supports your objectives and delivers tangible results. Our people are committed to building strong relationships through collaboration, a focus on value, and responsiveness.
Our lawyers operate with an understanding of both the private and public sectors. Our experience has us attuned to the nuances of government; multiple stakeholders, and a range of agendas. We understand what’s required for our Government clients to deliver successfully.
Here’s how we’re connected with your industry:
Sponsor of the 2014 and 2015 CEDA Transport Infrastructure Series
Sponsor of the 2014 CEDA Newcastle and Hunter Conference
Sponsor of the 2014 IPAA NSW Conference
Awards and recognitions
Best lawyers 2017
- Andrew Chapman – Construction/Infrastructure
- Angela Wood – Aged Care; Health & Aged Care; Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law
- Bronwyn Badcock – Real Property
- Bruce Heddle – Employee Benefits Law; Labour and employment; Occupational Health & Safety
- Jeff Goodall – Information Technology
- Lisa Chung – Real Property Law
- Lucille Scomazzon – Health & Aged Care; Not for Profit/Charities; Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law
- Mathew Stulic – Construction/Infrastructure Law
- Norman Lucas – Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Patrick Ibbotson – Water, Lawyer of the Year 2017
Chambers Asia 2017
- Maddocks is ranked in the following areas: Construction; Corporate and M&A; Employment; Environment; Government; Real Estate; Restructuring and insolvency; Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT); IT and Telecommunications
- Andrew Chapman is ranked in Construction
- Bruce Heddle is ranked in Employment
- Jeff Goodall is ranked in Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications
- Patrick Ibbotson is ranked in Environment; Government
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016/17
Recognised for the following areas:
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual property
- Real estate
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Workplace, Health and Safety
Doyle’s Guide 2016/17
Recommended for the following areas:
- Employment – NSW
- Construction – NSW
- Planning & Environment – NSW
- Property & Real Estate – NSW