Duncan’s practice is principally transactional and general commercial. He has a wide client base spanning public listed companies, private equity houses, government and SME’s across a wide range of industries including financial services, retail, manufacturing, entertainment and wholesale distribution.
Duncan is endorsed by his clients and provides practical and commercial advice that protect his clients interests and achieve their objectives. He was acknowledged in the fields of Corporate/M&A and Private Equity in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2015, international client guides to law firms where rankings are based on peer assessment and client interviews. Duncan has attracted strong client praise for his commercial acuity, timely delivery and ability to “integrate advice from other parts of the firm.”
He regularly advises on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Capital raisings
- Joint ventures
- Compliance (principally around the Corporations Act, Consumer Laws, and Listing Rules).
- Advising Caltex on its acquisition of Scott’s Fuel Divisions, which included 28 retail sites and 18 depots, across South Australia, Northern Territory, Victoria and New South Wales.
- Advising Archer Capital on a number of acquisitions, including a majority stake in the Team Moto dealership business, its acquisition of a majority stake in Fuelfix.
- Acted for LivingSocial on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Jump on it, a daily deals aggregator website.
- Advising Adcock Private Equity on a subscription into DirectMoney, a peer to peer lending business.
- Since 2007, advising the Deluxe Group on its acquisitions of various businesses in Australia.
- Since 2003, advising Petbarn on its acquisition of several chains of stores across Australia’s eastern sea-board.
- Advising the Moraitis Group on various acquisitions, joint venture agreements and general commercial issues.
- Advising on an IPO and subsequent ASX Listing of a small market cap biotech company.
- Advising on a placement for a ASX listed company providing services to the resources sector.
- The re-structure of a major Australian based retail group.
- Assisting an international retailer of childrens products on general compliance issues in Australia, particularly around consumer law and product safety.
Other Relevant Experience
Duncan worked for Sidley Austin Brown & Wood in London for a number of years where he gained experience in a number of high-profile cross-border transactions.
- Duncan is recognised in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 and 2017 for Private equity.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, Duncan is recommended for Corporate/M&A.
- Duncan is recognised by Chambers Global 2015 as ‘Up and Coming’ talent for Corporate/M&A and in Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 for Private Equity. Duncan receives high praise for his responsiveness and helpfulness in co-opting appropriate assistance from colleagues across the firm.
- The 2015 and 2013 Legal 500 Asia Pacific rankings acknowledged Duncan in the Corporate and M&A category.
- Duncan is recognised in the 2014 edition of Chambers Asia Pacific in the field of Corporate/M&A and Private Equity, with clients praising his commercial acuity, timely delivery and ability to “integrate advice from other parts of the firm.” Clients also noted that Duncan is “good and sensible on complex equity structures.”