Greg is a corporate and commercial lawyer who has extensive experience advising companies that distribute goods and services through a network or who exploit brands, technology and intellectual property. He is regarded as one of Australia’s leading retail and franchise lawyers, holding more than 20 years of experience practising within the sector.
Greg represents numerous leading Australian manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers as well as a growing number of international companies who export to Australia and the Asia Pacific region either directly or via joint ventures, master franchises or other forms of licence arrangements with locally based companies. Greg’s clients include the owners of major brands within the automotive, outdoor power equipment, fashion, hair and beauty, consumer finance and food industries.
- Developing and documenting franchise, dealer and other forms of channel distribution networks both in Australia and internationally.
- Advising in relation to relationships between franchisors and franchisees and manufacturers and distributors including processes for termination, mediation and other forms of dispute resolution.
- Competition and consumer law, particularly in relation to pricing, supply and market conduct issues and the Franchising Code of Conduct.
- Intellectual property licensing, protection and exploitation.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Private equity transactions for both founders and investors.
- Raising of venture and expansion capital and assisting entrepreneurs and investors with exit strategies.
- Drafting joint venture, shareholder and other forms of corporate structuring agreements.
- General commercial contracting and procurement.
- Australian Skin Clinics – acting on the merger of the Ella Rouge and Australian Skin Clinics franchise networks. Shortly after the Ella Rouge purchase, Hairhouse Warehouse merged the Ella Rouge network with the Australian Skin Clinics network. The combined businesses have approximately 50 clinics around Australia and are now one of the larger operators in this sector.
- Accolade Wines – advising accolade wines on complex procurement, bottling and logistics arrangements nationally and internationally, including competition law advice and negotiation of transaction documentation.
- Bailey Nelson – advising in relation to the establishment of a licensed retailer structure incorporating partnership, taxation and competition advice.
- Birrell Motors Group – acting on its sale to AP Edgars Ltd of its car and truck retail businesses. The businesses included the state wide representation for Holden, HSV, Hyundai, Citroen, Isuzu Trucks, Volvo Trucks, Mack Trucks and UD Trucks in Tasmania, and Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles in Melbourne’s Doncaster-Burwood-Ringwood corridor.
- Champ Private Equity – acting for various investee companies in relation to general commercial matters including Dutton Automotive, Container Chain and Fine Food Holdings.
- Country Road – advising on various commercial matters and contractual disputes.
- Emerald Foods – acting on the acquisition of Movenpick Australia and in relation to the management and compliance of the New Zealand Natural Franchised network.
- Godfreys – advising in relation to franchise terminations, drafting disclosure documents and general compliance with the Franchising Code of Conduct.
- Hairhouse Warehouse – advising on all aspects of its franchised and company owned hair and beauty retailing and hairdressing business network, as well as the acquisition of minority interests by third party investors.
- Laser Clinics Australia – advising on the Franchising Code of Conduct and strategic development.
- Matchbox Australia – advising on all aspects of the Matchbox franchise operation, including drafting all franchise documents, advising on Franchising Code Compliance, providing structuring advice and assisting on any franchising disputes.
- McDonald’s Australia Limited – providing strategic and regulatory advice.
- Mercedes Benz – advising on dealer terminations and Franchising Code compliance for the Daimler truck and bus dealer networks and passenger cars.
- Narellan Pools – reviewing and updating the Narellan Pools suite of franchise documents and advising on Franchising Code Compliance. We have also advised Narellan Pools on its expansion into New Zealand and Canada.
- Nissan Australia – advising Nissan in relation to dealer dispute issues, including strategy advice and implementation.
- NRMA– advising on franchise compliance and documentation for Thrifty Car Rental and ongoing commercial and structuring advice across the NRMA business portfolio including NRMA Holiday Parks, NRMA Safer Driving School and Motorserve.
- Opteon Property Group – advising on general franchising and complex group restructuring, including the roll up of licenced businesses, comprehensive vendor due diligence, preparation of complex transaction documents, advice on disclosure requirements under the Corporations Act and provision of tax advice on efficient roll up structures.
- PFG Australia – advising PFG, being a subsidiary of a large New Zealand tractor exporter and manufacturer, on regulatory issues including franchising, warranty compliance and other CCA issues.
- Portwest Limited – acting for Portwest Limited, a large Irish safety clothing company, on its acquisition of the Prime Mover Workwear Group and the Huski Workwear Group. The transactions included acquiring related entities of the Prime Mover Group in Hong Kong, New Zealand and Zambia.
- Procal Diaries – providing strategic advice to Procal Dairies in relation to the franchised and company owned distribution network, and ongoing advice in relation to compliance with the Franchising Code, conducting mediations under the Franchising Code of Conduct, and ad hoc franchising disputes.
- Quest Serviced Apartments – advising on a range of franchising and dispute related matters.
- Remedy Kombucha – acting for the founders on the sale of a 50% share in the enterprise to private investors and then in a further sell down to Lion Nathan.
- Soar Aviation – acting for the founder of Soar Aviation on the 50% sale of the group to The Growth Fund and the negotiation of the underlying partnership arrangements with Box Hill Institute.
- Stratton Finance – providing ongoing advice to Stratton on the establishment and operation of its franchise network, including Franchising Code compliance, including providing document management services. We also acted on the acquisition of a number smaller complementary businesses by Stratton, and provided strategic advice in relation to the restructure of its lead allocation within the network. Members of our team also acted for Stratton when its shareholders sold a majority stake to carsales.com Ltd.
- Ventura Health – working with Ventura Health to develop a new franchise agreement template to roll out across its various networks, including Cincotta Chemist and megasave Chemist. Acting for the shareholders of Ventura Health in the sale of the group of companies to EBOS Group Limited.
- Yum! Restaurants Australia Pty Limited – advising on the application of unfair contract term provisions to the franchise agreements for the KFC and Pizza Hut networks as well as preparing other standard form documentation.
Directories and awards
Greg is listed in:
- Best Lawyers Australia, 2014-15, Melbourne Franchise Law ‘Lawyer of the Year’
- Best Lawyers Australia, 2018 edition for Commercial Law and Franchise Law.
- International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers, 2016, 2017
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018, recommended for IP.