Greg is a corporate and commercial lawyer who has extensive experience advising companies that distribute goods and services through a network or who exploit brands, technology and intellectual property. He is regarded as one of Australia’s leading retail and franchise lawyers, holding more than 20 years of experience practicing within the sector.
Greg represents numerous leading Australian manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers as well as a growing number of international companies who export to Australia and the Asia Pacific region either directly or via joint ventures, master franchises or other forms of licence arrangements with locally based companies. Greg’s clients include the owners of major brands within the automotive, outdoor power equipment, fashion, hair and beauty, consumer finance and food industries.
- Developing and documenting franchise, dealer and other forms of channel distribution networks both in Australia and internationally.
- Advising in relation to relationships between franchisors and franchisees and manufacturers and distributors including processes for termination, mediation and other forms of dispute resolution.
- Competition and consumer law, particularly in relation to pricing, supply and market conduct issues and the Franchising Code of Conduct.
- Intellectual property licensing, protection and exploitation.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Private equity transactions for both founders and investors.
- Raising of venture and expansion capital and assisting entrepreneurs and investors with exit strategies.
- Drafting joint venture, shareholder and other forms of corporate structuring agreements.
- General commercial contracting and procurement.
- Advising McDonalds Australia on competition and franchising and supply chain issues.
- Advising Accolade Wines on Project Alchemy, a packaging and distribution joint venture in Australia and the United Kingdom with major competitor, Treasury Wine Estates. The matter involved contract negotiation and complex cross border competition law advice.
- Advising the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries on the preparation of submissions to the relevant minister on unfair contracts and unjust conduct regime in relation to automotive dealer franchise agreements.
- Advising GM Holden in relation to the termination of its Opel dealer network.
- Advising Isuzu in relation to the periodical renegotiation of its dealer sales and services agreements with its established dealer network.
- Advising Honda Motorcycles and Power Equipment on its compliance with the Franchising Code of Conduct and competition and consumer law generally.
- Advising NRMA (Thrifty) on franchise compliance and documentation across the network.
- Advising BMW on various matters regarding the structure and documenting of its various dealer networks.
- Advising Country Road in relation to celebrity designer and model collaborations.
- Advising the Michelle Bridges 12WBT group in relation to corporate governance and intellectual property licensing.
- Advising Grill’d Group on all aspects of business and franchise operations (regulatory, property, employment and disputes).
- Advising Stratton Finance Group and its founder in relation to a sale of 50 percent of the equity to carsales.com and also on its continued expansion strategy via acquisitions and franchising.
- Advising PPB on the sale of Bevilles Retail Stores.
- Advising NBC Capital on the acquisition of the Degani Bakery restaurant chain and the establishment of the Fusion Food Group.
- Advising Green Capital Partners on the acquisition of the ‘About Life’ organic supermarket chain.
Directories and awards
Melbourne Franchise Law ‘Lawyer of the Year‘, Best Lawyers, 2014-15
Greg is listed in:
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 for Corporate/M&A and Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications
- Intellectual Property, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016
- Commercial Law and Franchise Law, Best Lawyers, 2014-15
- Licensing and Franchising, Asia IP Experts, 2014 – 2016
- International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers, 2016